I didn’t know Celeste before. This link provides a quick introduction. She talks about the value of conversations and how to create valuable conversations.
Among the great content does Celeste mention some really good quotes. My favourites are:
- “Everyone you will ever meet knows something that you don’t” (Bill Nye)
I saw this quote before, but this time it struck a cord. Clearly, everyone is worth listening to!
- “No man ever listened himself out of a job.” (Calvin Coolidge)
“Speech is silver, silence is gold”, but somehow more colorful.
- “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” (Stephen R. Covey)
The 10 tips in short:
- Don’t multitask – be present
- Don’t pontificate – be humble and learn from others
- Ask open-ended questions – start with who, what, when, where, why or how
- Go with the flow – whatever you think of, let it go
- If you don’t know, say that you don’t know – have integrity
- Don’t equate your experience with theirs – all experiences are individual – it is NOT about you
- Try not to repeat yourself – it’s condescending and boring
- Stay out of the weeds – don’t get stuck in details
- Listen – this is the most important one
- Be brief!